As a lady who loves cooking, I find myself spending most of my free time in the kitchen, trying to learn something new or perfecting the recipes I have tried before.
I sometimes come up with an ingenious solution that I believe can help other people who love cooking like me solve common kitchen problems.
For example, I sometimes find it confusing when choosing the casserole dish size I should use according to the type of food and the number of people I am serving.
Luckily, I have finally found a solution to the problem, which I will share with you in this article.
Read on to learn more…
How important is the size of a casserole dish?
It’s important because if it’s too big for the amount of ingredients that you have it can cause your casserole to be overly runny because there wasn’t enough meat and vegetables to soak up the gravy.
Likewise too small a casserole dish and you may end up with undercooked food at the end.
The importance of a casserole dish’s size also depends on the number of guests you are cooking and the type of food.
For example, you need a larger casserole than the one you use when cooking for your family of 4 if you have invited three friends for dinner.
Likewise, you may need a smaller casserole when cooking soups and stew, but slow-cooking meet requires a bigger casserole to circulate heat.
Casseroles for soups should be tall to prevent spillage, and, on the other side, a casserole for roasting should be wide to provide the space needed for the food to brown effectively.
Are there standard sizes for casserole dishes?
With the many sizes and shapes of casserole dishes available in the market, not everyone can afford to buy all the sizes.
Therefore, most individuals choose a casserole that is somewhere in the middle — not too big or too small.
You can select several sizes depending on the size of your family and the maximum number of guests you would expect to host.
The size guide below will help you choose the best casserole size for you.
The common casserole dish sizes include:
- 1-quart dish (size 8”x6’x 1 ½”) round
- 2-quart dish (size 11”x7”x1.5”) oblong
- 2½”-quart dish (9”x9”) square
- 3-quart dish (12”x9”x2”) oblong
- 4-quart dish (12”x10”x2”) oblong
- 5-quart dish (11”x15”) (oblong)
The choice of the best casserole dish to use will depend on the type of food and the number of people to serve.
Let see how you should choose the suitable casserole dish based on these two factors.
1-quart casserole dish
You can use this casserole dish to make small enough dishes to heat in a microwave or cook in a hurry. Some of these foods include popcorn, steam vegetables and oatmeal.
The dish can also be a storage container for keeping food leftovers in the fridge (be sure to understand how long you need to wait before adding food to a new fridge).
2-quart casserole dish
This oblong casserole dish comes in handy when cooking savouries like scalloped potatoes or delectable desserts like brownies.
You can serve four people from this dish, plus it can double as a storage container for your fridge.
2½-quart casserole dish
This casserole dish is perfect for desserts like cakes, cookie bars and fudge. You can also use it for baking slow-rise bread loaves and sweetbreads.
The size is enough for preparing a meal for six to eight people.
3-quart casserole dish
You can use this dish when cooking meals like baked ziti, baked macaroni and cheese, or you can use it for baking cakes for larger events.
The portions can serve 10 to 12 people.
4-quart casserole dish
This casserole dish is perfect for making potluck dinner meals like high-stacked multi-layer lasagne. You can serve a total of 12 to 15 people from the dish.
5-quart casserole dish
You can use this large casserole dish whenever you have large gatherings of more than 15 people.
It is perfect for extraordinary casseroles, desserts, sweetbreads and many more as long as you are cooking for many people.
You can also use it for serving after cooking the food elsewhere.
- HIGH QUALITY LARGE FOOD GRADE BAKING PAN SET: Our baking dishes are made of borosilicate glass, can be used in microwave, oven, freezer and dishwasher, goes straight from the refrigerator to the microwave or oven to the table without the risk of cracking or shattering. Cadmium and Lead free.
- TIGHT FITTING LIDS: 8-piece baking dishes set includes 4 baking dishes and 4 gray BPA-free plastic tight fitting lids, which are designed to keep your food fresher longer. Made with a special non-slip design, you can stack these 4 containers with lids on top of each other in your fridge or freezer for space saving storage. Also they are sloshproof to prevent spilling while storing or on the go. The ideal set for baking, serving and storing food.
- ELEGANT DESIGN & CONVENIENT HANDLES: The clear glass baking pan makes a nice, attractive presentation for enjoyable baking time, a charming decoration in your dining table and kitchen. It also lets you monitor the baking process, serve your meals in a stylish and elegant fashion and easily identify leftovers. The edge of the bakeware is round and smooth, with a widened, thickened, and anti-scalding handle design, providing a secure grip while taking to and from the oven.
- PERFECT SIZE & VERSATILE USE: This bakeware set includes 4 pieces bakeware of difference dimensions ( includes the ears' size): 1Quart (10 x 5.9 x 1.8-inch), 1.7Quart (11.6 x 6.7 x 2.1-inch), 2.3Quart (13.6 x 8.1 x 2.1-inch), and 3.2Quart (15.5 x 9.3 x 2.1-inch). Perfect for baking desserts, casseroles, stews, lasagna, spaghetti, brownies,chicken, meat, beef, fish, veggies, and all your favorite delicacies, as a serving dish for added convenience and reheating leftovers and etc.
- 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: If you receive cracked products or you are not 100% satisfied with our products, please feel free to contact our customer service. We will provide the best solution for you within 24 hours.
- ✔️ Perfect Size: Rectangular baking dish set serve for pizza, bread, pasta, lasagna, chicken, roast, beef, vegetables, food heating and storage, meet your different needs.
- ✔️ Specifications: This set comes with a large dish 15.75" 'x 9.65" x 2.8'' medium dish 13.45'' X 8'' X 3.1'' and smaller dish 9.75'' X 6.3'' X 2.8
- ✔️ Easily Stackable: This Baking dish sets can be stacked to save cabinet space.
- ✔️ Finish: his ceramic bakeware set are made of high quality and Eco-friendly glaze. Extremely hard glaze does not scratch, non stick and durable for everyday use.
- ✔️ Easy to clean: Easy to clean with dishwasher or hand wash with soap and water.
- Set of 2 oven-safe glass dishes for baking casseroles, lasagna, desserts, side dishes, and more; square 2 liter and rectangular 3 liter sizes
- Food-safe, BPA-free borosilicate glass dishes are freezer, microwave, and pre-heated oven safe (lids not included)
- Heat-resistant up to 580°C (1076°F); can tolerate excessive temperature changes without cracking
- Non-porous construction doesn’t retain odors, flavors, or stains
- Side handles allow for supported, easy handling
- The 1-1/2-quart and 2-quart round casseroles and lid are crafted from durable, solid stoneware and glazed with Warm, earthy color
- This covered round casserole set features relaxed, rustic character with modern functionality and convenience
- The stoneware baking dishes feature classic flared contours that incorporate comfortable, freeform handles
- Oven safe to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, the casseroles are also microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe for convenience
- 2-Qt and 3-Qt Oblong baking dishes
- Non-porous glass won't absorb stains or odors
- Oven, microwave, fridge, freezer and dishwasher safe
So, What’s The Best Casserole Dish Size?
- 2 people eating then use a 1-quart dish.
- 3 to 4 people eating use a 2-quart dish.
- 6 to 8 people eating use a 2.5 quart dish.
- 10 to 12 people eating use a 3-quart dish,
- 12 to 15 people use a 4-quart dish.
- 15+ people use a 5-quart dish,
If you have been having a hard time choosing the best casserole to use for different types of food like me, the above guide will help you eliminate guesswork, no matter the type of food or the number of guests you have.
I hope this helps you enjoy cooking and have fun in the kitchen as I do.
Last update on 2021-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API