Yes. Whenever I want to prepare a meal fast, I think of a microwaved tilapia.
Although tilapia contains low calories and fats, preparing it in a microwave can be tricky because it dries out fast during the cooking process.
Luckily, you can easily prepare a well-cooked tilapia in your microwave for an easy, healthy meal without the hassles involved in other cooking methods.
If you cook the fish properly, it retains most of its natural juices and moisture.
It also absorbs the seasonings and herbs flavours you use during marination.
Here are the steps to follow when cooking tilapia in a microwave:
- Olive oil
- Aromatics like celery, onions and carrots
- Fresh herbs (optional)
- Lemon or any other citrus fruit
- Shallow dish
- Wax paper
- Pour some olive oil on the shallow plate to avoid sticking.
- Place the tilapia fillets in a single layer on the plate.
- The thickest sections of the fish should face the plate’s edges to cook fast.
- Tuck in the thin fish edges, so they cook evenly.
- Coat both sides of the fish fillets by applying some seasonings, such as chilli powder, pepper, or salt.
- If needs be, apply some fresh herbs, such as drill and tarragon, over the fish.
- Sprinkle some sliced aromatics, such as carrots, celery, or onions, over the fish to add extra flavour and moisture.
- Squeeze a lemon and sprinkle the juice throughout the tilapia fillets.
- Lemon juice guarantees the delicate fish remains tender while adding some vitality to the overall flavour.
- For a sweet flavour, sprinkle freshly-squeezed orange juice all over the fish instead of the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle a tiny amount of olive oil throughout the seasoned fish fillets. This way, the fillets will remain moist all through the cooking process.
- Use a sheet of wax paper to cover the plate, and then place it into the microwave.
- Cook the fish in high temperatures for roughly four minutes.
- Let the fish sit for approximately a minute before testing.
- Use a fork to poke the fillets.
- The fish needs to be opaque and slightly flake in the thickest sections.
- Remove the veggies, herbs and tilapia from the plate and service.
- Microwave the remaining oil, citrus juice and fish juice for about one to two minutes.
- Let them remain uncovered to retain their softness.
- Pour the mixture over the cooked tilapia fillets.
Tips to Remember
- Let the tilapia marinate in the citrus juice, seasonings and herbs for about 10 minutes before the cooking starts to enhance its flavour
- You can use plastic wrap in place of wax paper. However, vent the plastic paper and prevent it from touching the fish because it might transfer its chemicals to the fillets.
- You can also cook the tilapia with a ceramic dish.
- Tomatoes are acidic. Thus, you can use them instead of citrus fruits to keep the tilapia tender and moist.
Microwaving tilapia is safe, provided you cook it at a temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
In general, the cooking temperature should not exceed 170 degrees Fahrenheit.