I get so excited as soon as the weather turns cold enough to make hot chocolate the acceptable drink of choice!
Especially on those days when we have been out in the cold, possibly for a long walk with the kids.
Whilst the kids love hot chocolate too- this recipe is strictly for the adults – because how else you could you improve a hot chocolate other than by adding a little tipple – for extra warmth only, of course;
I have given you my favorite recipe below – but feel free to experiment with different liqueurs – there are many that will go well in this drink, have fun finding your favorite!
Equipment Needed for Sinful Boozy Orange Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Saucepan – nice and small so as to reduce the risk of burning the liquid
- Sharp knife
- Wooden spoon – avoid the plastic spatula type spoons here
- Favourite mug, to serve
Ingredients Needed for Sinful Boozy Orange Hot Chocolate
This recipe serves 2 people.
To cater for more, double the recipe for each additional 2 people. For example, to cater for 4 people, use 2 cups of whole milk and 150 grams of dark chocolate.
- 1 cup (240ml) whole milk – you may use any milk here but I find that whole milk adds a delicious creaminess to the drink. Non-dairy milks will not work so well
- 75g dark chocolate – I prefer 90% cocoa here, for extra chocolatey taste
- 1 large orange, zested using the small end of the grater
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/3 cup water, at room temperature (optional) – to thin hot chocolate if preferred
- 2 tablespoons good quality whiskey
- Whipped cream
Sinful Boozy Orange Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Pour milk into saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring regularly so as not to allow the liquid to burn
- After 1 -2 minutes, add zest of orange and cinnamon stick
- After another minute or so, remove cinnamon stick – be careful not to burn your fingers
- Slowly add in the chopped chocolate – allow to melt fully into the milk mixture
- Next, add in the caster sugar
- Add the water to achieve desired consistency of hot chocolate, if too thick
- Remove from the heat and add the whiskey (be careful when doing so, as this could cause the chocolate to spit)
- Pour into mug of choice and top generously with whipped cream
How to Cook Sinful Boozy Hot Chocolate
Thanks so much for reading this recipe and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! There is no other drink you could you want on a cold Winters day?!