Those of you who are regular readers will know about my passion for food and cooking, especially for preparing food for my family.
You’ll also know that I’m all about maximum productivity in the kitchen during the time spent there.
This is what helps us to enjoy our lives to the full once we’re out of there.
But to set up that productivity, we need great tools and appliances to speed up the process.
Wouldn’t you agree? I think you might.
That’s why I insist on sharp knives that will last a lifetime and preferably they be dishwasher friendly as I don’t want to spend more time than needed cleaning up.
So let’s look into that right now…
To Handwash or not to Handwash?
For those of us who spend meaningful time in the kitchen, dishwashers are a big part of our lives.
Back in the day, those who served top quality food at home could also afford home help and items like kitchen knives were regularly and lovingly handwashed.
In fact, even today, any self-respecting set of instructions on kitchen knife care includes the eternal verity ‘handwash with care’.
But for many of us, automation is the name of the game. So what’s a cook to do? Buy dishwasher safe kitchen knives, of course.
But what type of kitchen knives are best for dishwashers? And are they the best type of kitchen knives?
From What Material are Kitchen Knives Made?
As you might know, there are a number of materials from which kitchen knives are made. Let’s look at a few of them.
- Stainless Steel: This is an old favourite. It’s relatively cheap and chops really well. It doesn’t rust easily either. Disadvantages? It can be rather soft and therefor difficult to sharpen.
- Ceramics: Knives of this material also don’t rust. They’re also quite economical and very sharp. Disadvantages? They’re inclined to chip, unfortunately.
- Carbon Steel: An absolute favorite, especially for kitchen chefs. It’s strong, durable and stays sharp longer. This sounds too good to be true, right? So where’s the problem? They’re more rust-prone than othere types. That means it’s important to take really good care of them.
- Damascus Steel: If you want the hardness of carbon still combined with the flexibility of stainless steel, you should probably choose this type. If there is as drawback, though, it’s the fact that this type is rather expensive.
Dishwasher-Safe Knife Sets
There are dishwasher-safe knife sets available for the cook who wants authenticity as well as convenience.
You can explore online and in-person the great variety of sets on the market.
One thing that’s interesting is the fact that stainless steel seems to be the favorite material from which dishwasher-safe knife sets are made.
Although stainless steel is by far the favourite material, some of the sets you will find on the market are titanium-coated or ceramic coated, which gives a more attractive and interesting appearance, while remaining dishwasher-safe.
In my humble opinion, functionality is probably the main aim of the conscientious cook.
Of course we like to keep expense in view, but a set of kitchen knives is a long-term investment, so the cost is not a deal-breaker.
What matters is the sharpness of the knives, along with the ease of use and ease of maintenance.
- Superior high carbon stainless steel blades for precision and accuracy
- Strong, durable bolster for perfect stability and control. Lightweight knives that slice, carve, and chop
- Ergonomically designed stainless steel handle provides comfort
- Easy to clean and precision-tapered ground blades that narrow gradually to an extremely sharp, fine edge
- Lifetime Warranty.Dishwasher Safe
- HEALTH AND DURABLE - Ceramic knife made from zirconium oxide, never rust, health environmental protection and ceramic coating will not transfer food odors
- QUALITY KNIFE SETS - 6 piece kitchen knife set with 5 Sheath Covers include 6" Serrated Bread Knifea, 6" Chef Knife, 5" Slicing Knife, 4" Utility Knife, 3" Paring Knife and a Peeler
- CIENTIFIC DESIGN - Color coding reduces the risk of cross-use during food preparation.Portable paring knife with sheath,best choice for outdoor picnic.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE - Professional knife set is perfectly weighted with comfort grip handles to give you balanced chopping and carving control
- PERFECT GIFT IDEAS – Our Colourful Kicthen knives come with nice gift box,just buy a set for your family and friend.Our Ceramic Knife will bring a wonderful expericence to you
- SUPERIOR STEEL - KYOKU Samurai Series knives have ultra-premium, cobalt-added, and cryogenically treated steel. Tempered to the ideal grade of hardness, the blades are strong enough to hold a lasting edge and flexible enough not to crack under pressure.
- SINGLE PIECE CONSTRUCTION - Precisely cut from a single piece of ultra-sturdy, high-carbon steel from blade to handle, these knives boast exceptional durability and control.
- STEEL HANDLE WITH HAMMERED PATTERN - Finished with a unique hammered pattern, the ergonomic steel hollow handles are contoured for a secure, comfortable grip that maximizes comfort.
- SERRATED FOR EASIER CUTTING - Enjoy every steak with a precision steak knife that slices through each bite with ease.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - Our knives come with a lifetime warranty, and we offer free exchange or return if the item is defective.
- Includes: 8 in. Chef’s knife, 8 in sharpening steel, 7 in. Santoku knife, 5 in serrated Utility knife, 4. 5 in. Utility knife, 3. 5 in. Paring knife, 3 in. Peeling knife, six 4. 5 in. Steak knives, kitchen scissors, and a bamboo storage block
- Knives are made of high carbon stainless steel for sharpness and balance
- Full tang construction with 3 rivets provides durability; block holds all knives
- Handle is ergonomically designed for Comfort and Bakelite handle is hygienic
- Steak knives and bread knife are serrated for easy slicing; not dishwasher safe
- High Carbon German 1.4028 Stainless Steel, giving them an exceptional and enduring razor sharp edge
- Our cutlery is tested to withstand the toughest dishwasher cycles
- Ergonomically engineered with full tang and bolster, our handles are designed for ultimate comfort and easy handle control
- Lifetime Limited Warranty
- Handle and blade are forged together forming one piece for long life durability,
Choose the Best One for You and your Kitchen
The two factors that appear to affect the longevity of a kitchen knife set most are the maintenance of the set and its storage.
Sets that come with their own storage block are particularly handy because there’s no storage tension.
But if you can clean your knife set safely in the dishwasher, so much the better.
Last update on 2021-06-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API