Those of you who are regular readers will know about my passion for food and cooking, especially for preparing food for my family.
You’ll also know that I’m all about maximum productivity in the kitchen during the time spent there.
This is what helps us to enjoy our lives to the full once we’re out of there.
But to set up that productivity, we need great tools and appliances to speed up the process.
Wouldn’t you agree? I think you might.
That’s why I insist on sharp knives that will last a lifetime and preferably they be dishwasher friendly as I don’t want to spend more time than needed cleaning up.
So let’s look into that right now…
To Handwash or not to Handwash?
For those of us who spend meaningful time in the kitchen, dishwashers are a big part of our lives.
Back in the day, those who served top quality food at home could also afford home help and items like kitchen knives were regularly and lovingly handwashed.
In fact, even today, any self-respecting set of instructions on kitchen knife care includes the eternal verity ‘handwash with care’.
But for many of us, automation is the name of the game. So what’s a cook to do? Buy dishwasher safe kitchen knives, of course.
But what type of kitchen knives are best for dishwashers? And are they the best type of kitchen knives?
From What Material are Kitchen Knives Made?
As you might know, there are a number of materials from which kitchen knives are made. Let’s look at a few of them.
- Stainless Steel: This is an old favourite. It’s relatively cheap and chops really well. It doesn’t rust easily either. Disadvantages? It can be rather soft and therefor difficult to sharpen.
- Ceramics: Knives of this material also don’t rust. They’re also quite economical and very sharp. Disadvantages? They’re inclined to chip, unfortunately.
- Carbon Steel: An absolute favorite, especially for kitchen chefs. It’s strong, durable and stays sharp longer. This sounds too good to be true, right? So where’s the problem? They’re more rust-prone than othere types. That means it’s important to take really good care of them.
- Damascus Steel: If you want the hardness of carbon still combined with the flexibility of stainless steel, you should probably choose this type. If there is as drawback, though, it’s the fact that this type is rather expensive.
Dishwasher-Safe Knife Sets
There are dishwasher-safe knife sets available for the cook who wants authenticity as well as convenience.
You can explore online and in-person the great variety of sets on the market.
One thing that’s interesting is the fact that stainless steel seems to be the favorite material from which dishwasher-safe knife sets are made.
Although stainless steel is by far the favourite material, some of the sets you will find on the market are titanium-coated or ceramic coated, which gives a more attractive and interesting appearance, while remaining dishwasher-safe.
In my humble opinion, functionality is probably the main aim of the conscientious cook.
Of course we like to keep expense in view, but a set of kitchen knives is a long-term investment, so the cost is not a deal-breaker.
What matters is the sharpness of the knives, along with the ease of use and ease of maintenance.
- High-Quality stainless steel blades
- Nonstick ceramic coating for easy slicing
- Color coding reduces the risk of cross-contamination during food preparation
- Set includes: 8" Chef knife w/ Blade Guard, 8" Slicing knife w/ Blade Guard, 8" Serrated bread knife w/ Blade Guard, 7" Santorum knife w/ Blade Guard, 6. 5" Utility knife w/ Blade Guard, 3. 5" Paring knife w/ Blade Guard
- 【Superior Black Kitchen Knife Set】Professional and high quality knife set for all your cooking needs.It's also a wonderful wedding gift for your friends or Mother's Day gift for your mother, or a gift for yourself!
- 【One Piece Value Knife Set】15 pieces knife set includes: 8" chef knife, 8" slicing knife, 7" santoku knife, 8" serrated bread knife, 5" utility knife, 3.5" paring knife, 6pcs 4.5" serrated steak knife, 1 pc kitchen shears, sharpener,and black hard wood knife block
- 【Dishwasher Safe】The knife set is easy to maintain. Dishwasher safe. Perfect for storage after washing and drying. Note: Due to a printing error in the instructions for the first shipment, it will be marked High quality blades should never go in the dishwasher,but please feel free to use the dishwasher to clean our knives, we will correct this error in the instructions for the next shipment of knife sets, we sincerely apologize for the printing error in the instructions
- 【High carbon stainless steel blades】Astercook knife set is constructed of high quality rust resistant stainless steel. Whether you have used the knife set for a long time, or cut steak, cake or cheese, it will not rust.
- 【Lifetime Warranty】Each knife set are backed by excellent quality and undergo strict quality inspection, we provide a lifetime warranty for every customer, please feel free to purchase.
- 18-piece round dinnerware set; service for 6
- AB-grade porcelain; BPA-free; lightweight yet durable
- Elegant white finish to complement existing kitchen décor
- Safe in your microwave, oven, and freezer as well as dishwasher-safe
- Includes 6 each: 10.5-inch dinner plate, 7.5-inch dessert plate, 5.5-inch bowl, porcelain, solid white
- 14-piece set includes (11) knives, (1) pair kitchen scissors/shears and (1) knife sharpener neatly stored within (1) pine knife block.
- Knives include: (1) 8-inch chef's knife, (1) 8-inch slicing knife, (1) 8-inch bread knife, (1) 5.5-inch utility knife, (1) 3.5-inch peeling/paring knife, (6) 4.5-inch steak knives
- Superior high-carbon stainless-steel blades for precision results
- Triple-rivet POM handles ensure a comfortable, secure grip
- Versatile, durable countertop set for everyday kitchen and dining use
- Set Includes: 8" Chef Knife, 8" Slicing Knife, 7" Santoku Knife, 5.5" Utility Knife, 3.5" Paring Knife, 2.75" Bird's Beak Paring Knife, 4.5" Steak Knives (6), 8" Sharpening Steel, All-Purpose Household Shears, Wooden Block.
- Superior high-carbon forged stainless steel blade for precision and accuracy
- Durable extra-wide safety bolster for perfect stability and control
- Stainless steel rivets to secure the full-tang blade to the ergonomically designed handle
Choose the Best One for You and your Kitchen
The two factors that appear to affect the longevity of a kitchen knife set most are the maintenance of the set and its storage.
Sets that come with their own storage block are particularly handy because there’s no storage tension.
But if you can clean your knife set safely in the dishwasher, so much the better.
Last update on 2021-10-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API