There are plenty of kitchen items that are common in many households. My household is no exception as I deal with the preparation of meals for my family.
I ensure to use the best of kitchen items to serve fresh and tasty foods for my family. Early in the morning, I serve my children some bread spread with butter. They seem to enjoy it very much.
Recently, while I was preparing bread for them, I noticed something. The butter knife had a notch that I had not realized before.
It aroused my curiosity on the various reasons as to why the butter knife has it. I did my research and got to know that the notch on a butter knife is there to serve two purposes.
For those of you who are as curious as I am, I hope that after reading this article I have helped answer the question behind why there is a notch on the butter knife.
The main reasons for a notch on a butter knife include:
1. The first purpose is to be helpful as you try to get butter, that is, it is non-cutting.
2. The second purpose is to allow quick reference visuals to the broad edge.
In this article, I will be discussing the butter knife and try to explain the purpose of the notch.
I came across articles that say that the purpose of the notch may be to distinguish between a butter knife that cuts pats of butter from the dinner butter spreader knife.
Another reason given for the notch was that it may just be for decorative purposes. There is no known reason as to why there is a notch on the butter knife.
- TRAVEL SIZED: Compact design is perfect for discrete storage and easy transportation
- EASY USE: Designed to cut and split medication effortlessly with little pressure applied by the user
- STAINLESS STEEL BLADE: Steel blade is durable and easily splits pills and tablets
- BUILT TO LAST: Quality design, Built to withstand repeated use
- HEALTHY LIVING: ezy dose products make living healthier simply easier, Many products endorsed by the Arthritis Foundation
What is a butter knife?
A butter knife, which may also be referred to as a master butter knife, is a non-serrated table knife. It has a sharp point, a saber shape, and a dull edge.
A master butter knife serves the purpose of serving out butter pats from the main butter dish to individual plates.
This is done to prevent the remaining butter in the butter dish from getting contaminated before the next butter pat is served.
The butter knife is the smallest knife that you can find in a formal table setting.
What is a notch?
Before I continue with my discussion, I realized that you probably may not know what a notch is.
Well, a notch is that part of a knife that is between the tang and the grind. The reason why you may find a notch in a butter knife or rather any other knife is that the notch’s primary purpose is to show the edge’s border.
- Stoppers on either side of dish keep butter in place while cutting
- Convenient tablespoon measurement markings
- Clear lid rests on Dish without sliding off during transport and is easy to remove
- Dish designed to keep butter from slipping off tray and dirtying lid
- Accommodates all short and long butter sticks
What is the difference between a spreader and a butter knife?
You may probably be wondering how to differentiate the two. I may be able to help with that.
As compared to butter knives, the butter spreaders tend to have ends that are rounded.
The purpose of this is to assist in applying butter to the bread once it has been placed on the plate. It also helps in avoiding the butter spread to bite the bread.
Another difference is that, unlike butter spreaders, butter knives have sharp edges which make slicing through the butter be easy.
The butter knives are what you should use when you want to add butter to your bread plate.
- QUALITY and PRECISION: These high-quality stainless steel blades are extremely sharp with an array of colors that represent each knife in the set
- EASY TO USE: Nonstick ceramic coating makes is easy to slice your food and keeps the blades sharp for a long time
- COLOR CODING: Color coding reduces the risk of cross-use during food preparation
- SET INCLUDES: 8-inch Chef knife w/ Blade Guard, 8-inch Slicing knife w/ Blade Guard, 8-inch Serrated bread knife w/ Blade Guard, 7-inch Santorum knife w/ Blade Guard, 6.5-inch Utility knife w/ Blade Guard, 3.5-inch Paring knife w/ Blade Guard
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY: Your Cuisinart cookware is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship under normal home use
- 8 Pieces Fridge Organizer Bins Set: Each refrigerator storage bin measures 12.5’’ L x 6.3” W x 3.5” H. Use these clear fridge storage bins make your fridge organized and neat and gain much more space.
- Making Storage More Easier: These sturdy and medium capacity bins are great for creating a clean and organized refrigerator or pantry. Ideal for fruits, meat, milk, salad dressing, drink bottles, canned food, and packaged food ,condiments, jelly and more. So easy to keep clean and contain spills.
- Clear View: You can easily find what you want with clear view. Significantly cuts time from looking around,saving your time.Keep items used on a daily organized. Centralized storage used in kitchen pantry, fridge or freezer, cabinets, shelves, counter tops, craft rooms, laundry, bathroom，bedrooms,offices and more.
- Easy To Access with Built-In Handle: Clear bins with built-in and easy-grip side handles make it easy to transport items; Getting things in the back of the frig a breeze. No more removing things one by one to get to things in the back.
- Durable and Food-Safe Design: These freezer and pantry organizers are made of durable high quality shatter proof BPA free polyethylene material. Easy to clean! Wash by hand with mild soapy water. DO NOT place in dishwasher!
- Easily cook ground beef and ground turkey with this multi-functional meat chopper utensil
- The 5-blade design lets this hamburger meat chopper double as a masher; Quickly mix and mash softer cooked foods, like potatoes, yams, pumpkin, squash, rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, carrots, apples, bananas, and more
- Heat resistant: the oversized, BPA-free nylon head is heat resistant up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, making it a safe tool for cooking ground meat, potatoes, and other hot foods; Safe to use on all types of cookware including nonstick and coated
- Easy to use: mash by pressing blades into cooked food until desired consistency is achieved; angled blades scrape the sides of bowls and pots while mixing and mashing
- Easy to clean: dishwasher safe, making clean up quick and easy
Why Does A Butter Knife Have A Notch?
As I conclude, I would like to do a brief summary of what I have talked about. As I have stated earlier, the notch on the butter knife is there mainly to serve two purposes:
- To notify us where the edge is.
- To prevent the butter from touching the handle.
Aside from these known facts, the notch is there simply for decoration. It is also there to help you be able to differentiate between the dinner butter knife and the master butter knife.
Just to remind you, you should always ensure that the master butter knife is always on the bread plate. Never use the master butter knife to spread butter on the bread.
This is because when you do this, you will be contaminating the remaining butter left on the butter dish.
Also, the main difference between a master butter knife and a butter spreader is in its features. The butter spreader has rounded ends.
Another difference between the two is that a butter knife’s edge is sharper as compared to that of a butter spreader.
Last update on 2022-09-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API