There are plenty of kitchen items that are common in many households. My household is no exception as I deal with the preparation of meals for my family.
I ensure to use the best of kitchen items to serve fresh and tasty foods for my family. Early in the morning, I serve my children some bread spread with butter. They seem to enjoy it very much.
Recently, while I was preparing bread for them, I noticed something. The butter knife had a notch that I had not realized before.
It aroused my curiosity on the various reasons as to why the butter knife has it. I did my research and got to know that the notch on a butter knife is there to serve two purposes.
For those of you who are as curious as I am, I hope that after reading this article I have helped answer the question behind why there is a notch on the butter knife.
The main reasons for a notch on a butter knife include:
1. The first purpose is to be helpful as you try to get butter, that is, it is non-cutting.
2. The second purpose is to allow quick reference visuals to the broad edge.
In this article, I will be discussing the butter knife and try to explain the purpose of the notch.
I came across articles that say that the purpose of the notch may be to distinguish between a butter knife that cuts pats of butter from the dinner butter spreader knife.
Another reason given for the notch was that it may just be for decorative purposes. There is no known reason as to why there is a notch on the butter knife.
- DURABILITY: We have used the highest quality stainless steel to manufacture butter knives spreaders. This cold butter knife is long lasting, durable and highly corrosion resistant.
- DESIGN: We have designed this lovely kitchen tool to be used as butter spreader and butter curler knife. Beautiful design, perfect weight balance, and 1-inch blade make it perfect to spread the right amount of butter/jams/creams on your toast.
- PERFORMANCE: Your bread will no longer be torn into pieces, small slotted holes running down the blade edge designed to curl hard butter on your bread. With the additional Cheese Cutter for those rainy cheese on toast days!
- SAFETY: Ergonomic design and smooth finish ensured safety from injuring yourself accidentally. This butter spread knife is even safe for children to fill their toast with butter/jams and even chocolate curls. It also makes a great dinner knife set.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY, NO FUSS RETURN: with Worldwide Influence, if you are not satisfied with the performance, you can return the product at any time and claim your 100 % refund on the purchase price.
What is a butter knife?
A butter knife, which may also be referred to as a master butter knife, is a non-serrated table knife. It has a sharp point, a saber shape, and a dull edge.
A master butter knife serves the purpose of serving out butter pats from the main butter dish to individual plates.
This is done to prevent the remaining butter in the butter dish from getting contaminated before the next butter pat is served.
The butter knife is the smallest knife that you can find in a formal table setting.
What is a notch?
Before I continue with my discussion, I realized that you probably may not know what a notch is.
Well, a notch is that part of a knife that is between the tang and the grind. The reason why you may find a notch in a butter knife or rather any other knife is that the notch’s primary purpose is to show the edge’s border.
- Stoppers on either side of dish keep butter in place while cutting
- Convenient tablespoon measurement markings
- Clear lid rests on Dish without sliding off during transport and is easy to remove
- Dish designed to keep butter from slipping off tray and dirtying lid
- Accommodates all short and long butter sticks
What is the difference between a spreader and a butter knife?
You may probably be wondering how to differentiate the two. I may be able to help with that.
As compared to butter knives, the butter spreaders tend to have ends that are rounded.
The purpose of this is to assist in applying butter to the bread once it has been placed on the plate. It also helps in avoiding the butter spread to bite the bread.
Another difference is that, unlike butter spreaders, butter knives have sharp edges which make slicing through the butter be easy.
The butter knives are what you should use when you want to add butter to your bread plate.
- Professional Santoku Knife: This imarku Super Sharp Santoku Knife is made of German HC stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration. It can be used for your daily kitchen tasks of chopping, slicing, dicing, and mincing of all kinds of meat, vegetables, fruits, and bread. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- Ultra-Sharp Edge: Sharpness is key. The professional knife blade polishing makes this Japanese knife be more sharper than others, and it has been proven its ability to withstand the rigors of tough restaurant use. The thickness of this kitchen knife is 2.5mm. Its hand-polished edge is 15-18 degrees per side, which is sturdy and sharp to get the job done perfectly.
- Hollow Edge Design: The 7-inch santoku chef knife scalloped hollow edge is add gap between the knife blade and the material being cut, keeping things from sticking to the knife blade, special for slicing, dicing, and mincing.
- Ergonomic Design: Advanced Pakkawood Handle manufacturing process minimizes wrist tension while providing a secure, comfortable grip no matter your hand size or where you grip. Special texture, smoothly. Compare to other Pakkawood, it is way more stable and sanitary, No expantion, no crack like traditional wood and pakkawood handle, which asures you the best food safety.
- The Perfect Gifts: The knife comes in a high-quality black gift box, making it the perfect gift for whoever you love.
- 【High Carbon German Stainless Steel Laser-engraved Pattern(Not Damascus Pattern )】 MOSFiATA 8 inch pro chef's knife is made of premier high carbon German EN1.4116 stainless steel with high strength and increased rigidity. The kitchen knife contains 0.45-0.55% carbon, twice hardness than other knives, which will maintain longer sturdiness function.Laser-engraved pattern on the blade surface for decoration & anti-sticking.(NOTE: Different from Damascus pattern! Don't be confused!)
- 【Razor Sharp Edge & Anti-Corrosion, Anti-Tarnish Blade】Processed with the unique polishing technology and hand sharpened 16°per side, the chef kitchen knife's blade tapers from the spine to the cutting edge, for effortless precision cutting, as well as greater stability and durability. 15% chrome which provides corrosion resistance and an anti-tarnish finish.
- 【Full Tang Construction & Ergonomic Design】 MOSFiATA ergonomic knife handle is made of santoprene for comfort and polypropylene for durability. It features textured finger points that provide slip resistance and a better grip. The solid Micarta handle can minimize wrist tension while providing a secure, comfortable grip no matter the size of your hand or where you are gripping the handle. Triple riveted Micarta handle to the precise forged full tang for extra strength & durability.
- 【Professional Kitchen Chef Knife】The multifunctional cooking knife can easily handle your daily kitchen tasks of cutting, slicing, chopping, mincing and dicing of fruits, vegetables and all kind of meat. A professional and all-rounder home cooks knife for you.
- 【Exquisite Gift Box】- Our kitchen knife set packed in a stylish black presentation box, comes with a stainless steel finger guard, a knife sharpener and a blade guard. Thoughtful design and an excellent gift idea for friends, family, and special occasions such as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and more.
- TWO KITCHEN KNIVES SET: Includes 8" chef's knife,4" paring knife.One buying get two knives,suitable for daily needs.
- SHARP EDGE & DURABLE: The best feature of our product is the knife blade,Hand polishing by the craftsmen who have worked for many years.Full-tang design makes the knife firm and durable to protect you better.
- Non-SLIP ERGONOMIC HANDLE: Unique bulge handle design,increases the friction between the hand and the handle,more easily to handle and cutting food.Scientific design brings artistic beauty.
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL KNIVES SET: 8" chef's knife can easily handle your daily kitchen tasks of cutting the meat,vegetable.4" paring knife for the fruit.
- HIGH-CARBON STAINLESS STEEL: High quality knife made of good steel,steel with high carbon content makes knives strong,the high chromium content keeps steel from rusting.
Why Does A Butter Knife Have A Notch?
As I conclude, I would like to do a brief summary of what I have talked about. As I have stated earlier, the notch on the butter knife is there mainly to serve two purposes:
- To notify us where the edge is.
- To prevent the butter from touching the handle.
Aside from these known facts, the notch is there simply for decoration. It is also there to help you be able to differentiate between the dinner butter knife and the master butter knife.
Just to remind you, you should always ensure that the master butter knife is always on the bread plate. Never use the master butter knife to spread butter on the bread.
This is because when you do this, you will be contaminating the remaining butter left on the butter dish.
Also, the main difference between a master butter knife and a butter spreader is in its features. The butter spreader has rounded ends.
Another difference between the two is that a butter knife’s edge is sharper as compared to that of a butter spreader.
Last update on 2023-01-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API